Year At A Glance
Here are the events that Dicken families can look forward to in a typical school year. It remains to be seen which of these events will happen during the 2022-23 year, so keep an eye on your emails and the calendar on this website for more details.
- Family Meet & Greet—Come to the school to meet your teacher for the upcoming school year, and to reconnect with old friends and maybe make a few new ones.
- First Day of School
- Curriculum Night—Learn more about how students learn at Dicken Elementary, and hear from your children’s teachers specifically about their grade.
- Picture Day—Every student has their picture taken for the yearbook. Parents can choose to buy digital or print copies of these school pictures. The PTO provides yearbooks for all students free of charge.
- Dicken Dash—Our largest fundraiser. All students run laps for 10-15 minutes during the school day. Families are asked to gather pledges from family and friends.
- Neighborhood 5k
- Pumpkin Patch—A fun evening event where all families are welcome to celebrate Halloween with games and other activities.
- Spirit Week—The last week before winter break has different themes each day. Favorites include pajama day and dress like an athlete day.
- Science Olympiad Begins—A county-wide science competition for all interested students in grades 2-5. Volunteer coaches will be needed for a variety of events.
- Kindergarten Roundup—Families with kids starting Young 5s or Kindergarten the following school year can come learn about how amazing our school is.
- Winter Walk—Dicken families are invited to follow a walking trail around the school and through the woods. The trail is lit by luminaries that have been created by students in 1st through 5th grades, and it ends with hot chocolate and cookies.
- NAAPID—National African American Parent Involvement Day typically features an all-school assembly and a PTO-sponsored lunch for families who choose to participate.
- Original Art Work—Students create a specific piece of art in art class, and parents are offered the chance to buy various products featuring their child’s artwork. Some favorites include coffee mugs, refrigerator magnets, notepads, and tote bags.
- Spring Break
- Teacher Appreciation Week—Parents and the PTO show appreciation to Dicken teachers and staff throughout the week with small gifts and treats.
- WESO Competition—Students from each event gather at Pioneer High School for the season-ending competitions.
- Ice Cream Social—Families gather at the school one evening for fun outdoor games, ice cream, and socializing.
- Student Talent Show—Any interested students may enter the talent show and let their schoolmates see how talented they are.
- Field Day—An outdoor extravaganza of fun events held during the school day. Some of these events involve getting quite wet, so students are encouraged to wear swimsuits.
- 5th Grade Promotion—5th grade families gather to celebrate the end of their children’s time at Dicken.
- Last Day of School